Sunday, December 28, 2014

Getting in touch with my inner Wee-aboo

Evening all you lovely internet dwellers.

It has been a tad too long since my last post and I apologize.
A few great things happened.

My sister and fellow blogger flew out to visit me.
Had a staycation and went on an awesome trip with my lovely friend.
Aaaaannnddd have started to earn some side cash by crafting things.

It's been quite an adventure.

While my sister was here we did some shopping (more her shopping and mine and friend's window watching) and stumbled upon this lovely beauty.
I wish I had known before that such a beautiful place existed.

I won't lie, candy is my kryptonite. So couldn't help but indulge a couple of treats for myself.
If you're a fan of Japan Land and all it's wondrous happenings and things then I'm sure you're aware of these.

I couldn't resist.
It's just too damn cute.

So me and the younger sibling set out on a magical journey of processed sugar snacks that you prepare yourself.

Unfortunately, though....


ALL OF THE DIRECTIONS ARE IN FUCKING JAPANESE.
*screams internally*

But no worries!
There's always a way around this type of obstacle.
What would I have done without the help of youtube?

It was pretty easy to find a video tutorial on how to make this stuff. Now, I'm here to help you do the same if it ever crosses your mind to do so.

So first, everything came wrapped in this little package which I cut up to prepare as like a little box but I gave that up pretty quickly.


Here's the box and it's contents unopened.


And here is all the precious cargo.

It's been a while but I believe it came with like two big bags for the "dough", two little ones for the frosting, one for the chocolate syrup, and two for cookie crumbles and sprinkles.
Also, a little spoon because you may have been fucked without one.


Here's everything all laid out. I already took the pleasure of separating the components of the tray.


So first thing is to make the "vanilla dough" using the giant yellow packet and the oval corner section. You fill the oval with water then add the powder and mix. After a certain point it's best to start mixing the "dough" with your hands.


Then you split your dough into two halves.

Next is the chocolate one using the same method. Mix, then separate.

After both "doughs" have been formed, it's now time to "mold" them. There's one for a flower-y shape and one for your standard doughnut. You have all the creative freedom, but we enjoyed trying to copy the picture on the box.

Yay! All pressed to impress.
Don't hurt me.

Sister made the bear. Which by the way, would be quite a task to actually look as good as what's on the box.

NOW IS TIME FOR FROSTING.
The small blue packet is for "vanilla frosting". You add it to one of these little tubs and add a "cup" of water. Which is this small piece on the corner of the package with a little indent to hold water.

Add the "strawberry" packet to the other side.
Add your "cup" of water and mix!

Then make your chocolate sauce using the same method as the frostings.

All nice and mixed.

Forgot to mention that the kit also comes with a tiny plastic bag to use as a pastry bag for your chocolate sauce. Simply fill the bag, twist into a corner, and snip the end.


NOW DECORATE!
FROST AND SPRINKLE AND CHOCOLATE SAUCE THINGS LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT.

I gotta say, these came out better than expected. I was quite impressed with our candy making abilities.

As far as taste, it was pretty different from what you would expect candy to taste like.
First off, this kit isn't exactly 'candy'. Japan went out of their way to try and make this as close to the real thing as they could.
They were both pretty accurate and off-putting at the same time. I though the smell was good but the texture was like that of old play-dough. The vanilla doughnut of course, tasted like vanilla and the chocolate was like that cheap tootsie roll flavor.
The chocolate sauce was actually quite good. Probably my favorite part. The other two frostings weren't bad either, but it was also a minor texture thing.


I really had fun with this.
I predicted so much fun that, I actually bought two.
The second was made with lovely friend.


I'm sure you can agree we did a pretty spectacular job.



No comments:

Post a Comment