Saturday, August 23, 2014

Oh Canada, with your delicious treats and funny bacon

Man it's been a tiring couple of weeks.

Recently started a new second job and that's been interesting. As well as quite frustrating.
Still found time to bake in between all these hectic hours.

Because I have a problem.

Side note: One of my jobs is at a retail location that deals with crafts and whatnot. I won't disclose which one but I'm sure you get the gist of it.
Managed to score this beauty for half off.
If you can't tell, it's an icing smoother for cakes. Sorry about the water droplets, I had just taken it out of the package and washed it in preparation to take it's first frosting virginity. But yes. I'm quite excited to use this. There is at least one birthday coming up. Maybe I'll be able to whip this bad boy out soon.

Anywho!

When I first started getting into baking, the first site I really got into was joyofbaking.com. It's run by the fabulous (at least from what I can tell) Stephanie Jaworski. I believe she has tested every recipe she posts and they are mostly from various cookbooks. She'll put her own spin on it or just follow it according to the original published aspects. 

Either way, her recipes are what got me started and have helped me get to the point I'm at. Her directions are clear and her tips at making sure your goodies comes out right are quite on point.  
So yeah, check it out! They don't disappoint. 

So I found a little time to making some Butter Tart Squares. As stated in the article, they are similar in flavor and texture to a pecan pie but in a more convenient form. 
And if you don't love pecan pie then you're a communist. 
Sorry. Gotta say it.

Alright. Here we go.
First gather your ingredients again.
Then, make sure you grease your baking pan(s). I doubled this recipe too. If you're wondering why I double my recipes often, it's because I love to share when a recipe comes out well. 
And I like to pan off most of my treats so I don't end up eating them all. Preventative measures people. 
Also, for a recipe that deals with a crust, I don't recommend flouring the pan or laying down parchment paper. Crusts don't typically have a hard time coming out of your receptacle due to all of the butter IN the recipe. 
Okay, the crust is the first step. For this you'll first beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. 
  
Make sure to cut the butter into pieces. This will make it easier to beat.
Don't you love my stand-mixer guys? Damn, I sure do.
This is how it should look after you've beaten it into submission.
Now to add the flour and salt. Only mix until the dough comes together. 

Now here comes the fun part! Time to spread out your dough into your prepared pan. Make sure to make it as even as possible. 
Since I doubled the recipe, I just mashed the dough onto the bottom a little bit at a time until they both looked similar enough.
Next, bake the crust for about 20 to 25 minutes or until pale golden in color. I make sure to keep a close eye when baking crusts. When given baking times I like to check about 10 minutes in to gauge how much to adjust the time according to how shitty my oven is. Never, ever assume the suggested baking time is adequate for your baking equipment.
When done, take out your pan and place on a wire rack to cool while you make the filling.
The article suggests a food processor or hand mixer, but I just used my trusty old stand-mixer again.
Beat more butter and more sugar again until light and fluffy. Brown sugar this time though.
Mix in your eggs, one at a time, until combined. 
Remember to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary!
Add the corn syrup and vanilla extract.

Then add your flour, salt, and baking powder.
Now take your cooled crusts and sprinkle raisins/nuts (or either or) onto the bottoms evenly. I used pecans and sultanas. I've had these sultanas sitting in my pantry for EVER. I'm just glad they take so long to go bad. 
 Spread your filling in the pan evenly.
Bake for about another 20 to 25 minutes on this one or until your filling is set. 

Voila! Done! Just make sure to cool on a wire rack before cutting and removing. These are scrumptious both warm and cold.

I gotta be honest. Even though I did take most of these to work, me and the boyfriend devoured most of them ourselves.
They were just so freaking good. 


Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment